Big Sky Land Management prides itself on being an excavation and forestry company that delivers excellent customer service and strives to complete projects on time and on budget. We’re looking for team players who enjoy seeing jobs through, no matter the size and scope of the job. By offering competitive pay and strong benefits we have acquired a great team of people and are excited to bring on new employees who feel the same.
Big Sky Land Management is currently seeking a Forestry Operator in Big Sky, Montana. Big Sky Land Management specializes in fuel reduction using heavy equipment. Other services include Wildfire Prevention, Hazardous Tree Removal, Stump Removal, Selective Tree Clearing, Masticating, Controlled Burns, and Trail Construction.
We are looking for an experienced equipment operator who has experience running masticators, building logging roads and can quickly identify tree species to join our team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Safely operate heavy forestry equipment (e.g. Excavator with Masticator Head, Tracked Mulcher, Dozer) in a mountainous environment, as appropriate for each project.
- Ability to perform basic on-site machine maintenance and repairs.
- Ability to work independently in remote locations, void of sanitary facilities, in all weather conditions.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards, safety precautions, and practices pertaining to the forestry industry.
- Ability to carry out detailed written and verbal instructions independently.
- General forestry labor, as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Must be reliable, honest, and have a strong work ethic.
- Must be self-motivated and can perform work without constant supervision.
- Must have a current valid driver license and reliable transportation.
- Be able to lift 75 lbs.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- General knowledge of tree species in Southwestern Montana.
- Must be able to use own phone to clock in, upload pictures, and leave detailed description of work in our project management software.
DESIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years Heavy Equipment Operation
- Minimum 3-years of Excavator/Masticator operator experience preferred
- Detail-oriented — quality and precision-focused
- Innovative — innovative and risk-taking
- Outcome-oriented — results-focused with strong performance culture
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- Adaptable/flexible — enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- High stress tolerance — thrives in a high-pressure environment
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $30.00 – $35.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Big Sky, MT: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Why do you want to work for Big Sky Land Management?
- What type of machines are you used to running? (ex. Tracked Mulcher, Dozer, Excavator?)
- Operating: 3 years (Preferred)
- Driver’s License (Required)
Work Location: Big Sky, MT and surrounding areas